How do you like to read a phone number?

thewire lists at w23.ru
Tue Jan 6 00:16:58 CET 2009

Michele Renda пишет:
> Hello to all
>
> I would like to know how do you like to read the phone number:
>
> Please, who has some time, can you please write your country (Italy,
> France, etc.) and the way how usually is normal to read a phone number
> in your country (with international prefix)
>
> The format I use to descrive is this: +39 ### * or +1-###-* (where #
> replace a char, and * replace all remaining chars)
>
> Thank you a lot for your time

In Russia it is common and safe to read/write phone number this way:

+7 ### ###-##-## or (the "old" standard) 8 ### ###-##-##

On incoming call or message the operator usually "tells" (on a somehow
unrelated note, what's the right verb for this action? :D) the number in
it's full form, i.e. "+7##########".
User can also dial only part of the number (usually last 5 to 7 digits),
if he makes a local call. The grouping of digits begins from the end,
e.g. ###-##-##, ##-##-##, #-##-##. Numbers with less than 5 digits are
usually service numbers, and can be written just in one group. Digit
groups are separated by hyphen, but in full number it is preferred to
separate the first group (area code), which is right after the +7 or 8,
by spaces.

The actual standard for writing phone numbers is a little more
complicated and requires knowledge of area codes, mobile operator codes
and so on. If anyone is interested, I could explain in more detail.