Openmoko keyboard mockup

Mathieu Rochette mathroc at
Tue Jan 6 15:14:56 CET 2009

Laszlo KREKACS wrote:
> Hi!
>>> First and foremost, it is us
>>> hackers that use this device for now and are supposed to make apps for
>>> freerunner and all, and we don't have a damn keyboard;). All this
>>> fancy pancy dictionary based guessing is maybe good for normal people
>>> writing crappy SMS messages, but not for the current user base, in my
>>> opinion.
>> you do - Terminal.kbd layout - it ships with illume. i designed the kbd engine
>> in illume to allow for straight-through pushing of key presses without a dict
>> int he way. the Terminal.kbd bypasses dict lookup by just emitting keysyms as
>> opposed to strings. don't like the keys on that .kbd? edit the .kbd file.
>> change it yourself! its just text!
> Im planning to develop an application, where is a table, and in each column
> I want different keyboard layout with different dictionary.
> Is it possible to change layout and dictionary on the fly? (ie.
> entering in another text input field).
> The application would be something, in the first column is only
> numbers, so I want a keyboard
> with [0..9-.] buttons, and accept only numbers. In the second column I
> want to write down what I see (microwave, lamp, soldering iron, etc)
> and in the third column I want to write the trademark of it (sony,
> samsung, philips, weller, etc) so I want to change the keyboard
> between
> numeric and qwerty, and I want to change the dictionary as of input text field.
> Is it doable? If so where to start? I know python, and would be glad
> to see some debian/ubuntu guide how to start programming in efl. (or
> is it a complete development virtualbox/qemu image? it was discussions
> about some time ago).

this is be doable. keyboard application can receive message for client,
and message data is one of:

(I don't know where this list came from, is there some specification or
recommendation for virtual keyboard application implementation?)

so, the application just have to send one of those messages when
entering a field or another.