stupid networking question

Joel Newkirk freerunner at
Thu Jan 8 02:53:17 CET 2009

Sorry, I'd misssed this reply last night somehow.

What is in /etc/network/interfaces on the eeepc, and are you using
NetworkManager?  If using NM, is it the default NM from Ubuntu, or Kubuntu,
or something else?  This sounds to me like the NM is getting confused.
Also, are you using WPA or WEP on the wifi? (Shouldn't matter, but if using
NM now then changing to static config is more involved with WPA/WEP

The problem I see most frequently with 8.10's NM is that it gets confused
about statically-configured interfaces - EG, I have a workstation on a
static public IP on eth0, and when I jack in the FR on usb0, NM brings up
usb0 with the same friggin public IP, and tries to route packets through
the FR instead of ethernet...

On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 21:06:39 -0500, "Harry L. Lee" <harry at>
> 7.10 alternate
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Joel Newkirk <freerunner at>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 20:09:14 -0500, "Harry L. Lee" <harry at>
>> wrote:
>> > I have an  eeepcwifi'd into the Net, running ubuntu,but when i plug
> the
>> > openmoko into one of its usb ports it goes into wifi reconnection.
> halp!
>> >
>> > --
>> > harry at
>> What Ubuntu version and flavor?  Network Manager has issues under
>> 8.10/Intrepid - I've only had reliable networking (with multiple
>> interfaces) when I disabled NM and wrote manual config.
>> --
>> Joel Newkirk
>>      (blog)
>> (FR stuff)