stupid networking question

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Thu Jan 8 02:53:17 CET 2009

Sorry, I'd misssed this reply last night somehow.

What is in /etc/network/interfaces on the eeepc, and are you using
NetworkManager?  If using NM, is it the default NM from Ubuntu, or Kubuntu,
or something else?  This sounds to me like the NM is getting confused.
Also, are you using WPA or WEP on the wifi? (Shouldn't matter, but if using
NM now then changing to static config is more involved with WPA/WEP
enabled)

The problem I see most frequently with 8.10's NM is that it gets confused
about statically-configured interfaces - EG, I have a workstation on a
static public IP on eth0, and when I jack in the FR on usb0, NM brings up
usb0 with the same friggin public IP, and tries to route packets through
the FR instead of ethernet...

--
Joel Newkirk
http://jthinks.com      (blog)