Openmoko keyboard mockup

Chris Samuel chris at
Thu Jan 8 03:42:34 CET 2009

On Thu, 8 Jan 2009 2:35:13 am leonardo wrote:

> If you look at the patent itself (wikipedia says:
> you see it's 27 pages of
> pointless diagrams and 7 pages of a very vague description of how a
> "reduced keyboard disambiguating computer".

Of course if you do look at a patent and are later found to infringe it you
may be liable to pay triple damages for willful infringement if you ended up
in a US court over it (and yes, I do realise you're in Italy :-) ).  :-(

# Under current patent law and its interpretation by the courts, punitive
# triple damages are imposed if the party infringed willfully. Simon said mere
# knowledge that the infringed patent exists can support a finding of
# "willfulness," and liability for triple damages.

Moral of the story - never ever read patents, or anything about them! [1]

IANAL, batteries not included, etc..

[1] - which is ironic given that they were invented to encourage people to
publish their ideas rather than keep them secret.

 Chris Samuel  :  :  Melbourne, VIC

This email may come with a PGP signature as a file. Do not panic.
For more info see: