[debian] 2.6.28 kernel problems

Fox Mulder Quakeman1 at gmx.net
Thu Jan 8 18:26:53 CET 2009

Paul Fertser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Fox Mulder <Quakeman1 at gmx.net> writes:
>> Sorry if i'm annoying you, but now it worked. :)
>
> No problem, i'm glad it worked :)
>
>> After i read "build" how you mentioned i found the problem why no
>> modules tar.gz were created. The build script needs a second
>> parameter
>
> I think it needs a first parameter exactly as described on the wiki.

Thats right. Only the name "dummy" can also be anything else like
"GTA02" or whatever.

>> Second problem was that i had to copy the .config into the dummy
>> directory and not the linux-2.6 dir to be found.
>
> I have no idea where that "dummy" directory came from :) I'm afraid
> you're misinterpreting the build script. It seems to me that
> instructions on wiki are correct.

I took a closer look at the build script and i'm quite sure that i'm
interpreting it correct.
Maybe the name "dummy" as first parameter is not very good. In the wiki
it uses "dummy" as first parameter which is nothing else than the name
of the output subdirectory. But the build script also has a check for a
second parameter with "if [ ! -z "$2" ] ; then" in line 96. And only if
a second parameter is given, no matter what it is, the code between line
97 and 100 for making a modules tar.gz file is executed. But this
parameter is not mentioned in the wiki.

>> error messages. After it booted the sd-card was mounted what means that
>> vfat should work. I had the same problem with the swap file a few weeks
>> ago with an older andy kernel and i don't know what the problem is.
>
> There was a test report from a user stating that his uSD is unstable
> unless he lowers sd_clock. It might be a problem here, as well.

Ok, i will try if this helps at boot time.

>> Openmoko-panel-plugin doesn't start anymore with an error message
>> [3].
>
> That's because you use an old unfixed version of o-p-p that tries to
> read information about usb host power from /sys nodes that were
> changed. I think you can fix it yourself with the help of
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Kernel#GTA02_.2Fsys_mappings_for_andy-tracking_vs_stable
> and suggest to o-p-p developers to be compatible with andy-tracking.

Sounds good.

>> And the greatest problem i
>> had was wlan. I could access the eth0 device and it shows all available
>> wlan stations but i can't use my wpa2 protected wlan with wpa_supplicant
>> anymore. Iwconfig showed that i should be connected to my wlan but i
>> can't get an ip with dhcp anymore like with my old 2.6.24 kernel. The
>> dhcp client always tries and after 6-7 dhcpdiscover it exits with "no
>> dhcp server available".
>
> That clearly looks as a regression. I think you should write in
> details what problems with wlan you experience along with
> wpa_supplicant debug output and relevant dmesg to the kernel mailing
> list, where it would (hopefully) be investigated. For me wlan with wpa
> (not wpa2) works just fine.

I hope i find much debug information and will mail it in the kernel list.

Ciao,
     Rainer