stupid networking question

Thomas Otterbein th.otterbein at gmx.net
Thu Jan 8 19:51:53 CET 2009

> only sense when a usb networking capable device is plugged in -- so
> allow-hotplug seems the only sensible option,  to me, that is.
Yes, but you both leave the OpenSource-Factor out. The (K)Ubuntu
NetworkManager does not accept the allow-hotplug as a sign to keep it's fingers
out of the interface configuration. The author has only considered "auto" as a
possible option (at least I guess it's that simple). So sensible, correct or
useless - it's the solution to the issue "The FR cannot be used under KDE with
running NetworkManager" which seems to be a quite common problem.