[debian] 2.6.28 kernel problems

Fox Mulder Quakeman1 at gmx.net
Thu Jan 8 21:07:41 CET 2009

Andy Green wrote:

> | I took a closer look at the build script and i'm quite sure that i'm
> | interpreting it correct.
> | Maybe the name "dummy" as first parameter is not very good. In the wiki
> | it uses "dummy" as first parameter which is nothing else than the name
>
> This has changed in the last week.  It was taking me a great deal of
> time to switch between GTA02 and GTA03 kernel builds, so I changed the
> build script to use the O= kernel makefile parameter to keep the object
> files and configs for the builds in different subdirs.
>
> http://git.openmoko.org/?p=kernel.git;a=commitdiff;h=aeb4db1b913993a3e06522f13bab79decbd3cdef
>
> This reduces the time needed to switch typically to just 10 - 20 seconds
> or so.  It requires the subdir name to be given in the first parameter
> as described in the changed build script.
>
> The optional "dummy" parameter to signal that you want a module tarball
> is then the second parameter now.  It sounds like the combination of the
> Wiki and the comments and error help in the build script led to you some
> kind of hybrid solution, but the idea is you would have a GTA02 subdir
> with suitable config and build that with ./build GTA02, while having a
> GTA03 subdir with different config and build that with ./build GTA03.

Thanks for this information. :)

So the right command line would be something like "./build GTA02 dummy"
to find within the "GTA02" directory the modules tar.gz afterwards.

But before i first run the build script i have to create the "GTA02"
directory by hand and copy the .config into it. Else the build script
doesn't find any .config and starts the console configuration of the kernel.

Ciao,
     Rainer