[2007.2] flashing problem another potential solution

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Sat Jan 10 08:15:45 CET 2009

Hi Harry, welcome to the list!

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:02:43 pm Harry L. Lee wrote:

> since i have adequate uSD, it would seem i could copy the elements to be
> flashed there, and if some localhost version of dfu-util existed, do the
> whole flash inside the ssh session. i undrstand this could get tricky,but
> it still seems do-able

There's actually a Debian based distro (using dpkg & apt rather than opkg)
called Hackable-1 that is under development at the moment that installs to,
and boots off, the SD card (needs 2GB or better).

http://www.hackable1.org/

This might be more what you are familiar with.   The developers are working on
making it dist-upgrade'able at the moment, but for now just repartition your
SD card, install the tar balls from the site, join the user list and wait for
the announcement that dist-upgrade'ing is working.. ;-)

Pros:

- Debian! apt-get! shiny! ;-)
- Excellent audio quality (for outgoing calls at least)
- Abiword
- TangoGPS
- etc

Cons:

- No method for suspending yet
- Battery meter and apm non-functional with default kernel
- Drinks battery (no suspend!)
- Can't import contacts into the PIM application (Evolution data server)

Personally I'm dual booting my Freerunner now with Qt Extended 4.4.2 in flash
as the work-a-day phone and Hackable-1 off the SD card as an experiment.

cheers!
Chris

This email may come with a PGP signature as a file. Do not panic.
For more info see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPGP