[2007.2] flashing problem another potential solution

Chris Samuel chris at csamuel.org
Sat Jan 10 08:15:45 CET 2009

Hi Harry, welcome to the list!

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:02:43 pm Harry L. Lee wrote:

> since i have adequate uSD, it would seem i could copy the elements to be
> flashed there, and if some localhost version of dfu-util existed, do the
> whole flash inside the ssh session. i undrstand this could get tricky,but
> it still seems do-able

There's actually a Debian based distro (using dpkg & apt rather than opkg)
called Hackable-1 that is under development at the moment that installs to,
and boots off, the SD card (needs 2GB or better).

This might be more what you are familiar with.   The developers are working on
making it dist-upgrade'able at the moment, but for now just repartition your
SD card, install the tar balls from the site, join the user list and wait for
the announcement that dist-upgrade'ing is working.. ;-)

- Debian! apt-get! shiny! ;-)
- Excellent audio quality (for outgoing calls at least)
- Abiword
- TangoGPS
- etc

- No method for suspending yet
- Battery meter and apm non-functional with default kernel
- Drinks battery (no suspend!)
- Can't import contacts into the PIM application (Evolution data server)

Personally I'm dual booting my Freerunner now with Qt Extended 4.4.2 in flash
as the work-a-day phone and Hackable-1 off the SD card as an experiment.

This email may come with a PGP signature as a file. Do not panic.
For more info see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPGP