[2008.12 and beyond] questions moving forward

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Sat Jan 10 09:32:50 CET 2009

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 13:19:00 +0900, William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au>
wrote:
> You should flash the uboot as a priority - later uboots have changes
> designed to help in the case of a flat battery.
>
> Forget diversity or any of the gui ways of managing wifi - do it from
> the commandline - only way that works even partially reliably :(
>
> BillK

> On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 22:59 -0500, Harry L. Lee wrote:
>> diversity wifi seems to see no access points. ubuntu and 2007.2 saw
>> many including the one 4 feet away. i'm confused
>> do i need to go outside or have an antenna for gps?
>> i'm  still having problems with the power switch. i did NOT flash
>> uboot (NOR) would that change anything?
>>
>> --
>> harry at jonesnose.com
>> Harry L Lee (via gmail)

> --
> William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au>
> Home in Perth!

Yes, flash the uboot.

GPS should work reliably outdoors with a pretty clear view of most of the
sky.  Once you know that works, then try other locations.  For myself, I
get indoor fix only in one room of my house, and it takes a long time.  If
I get a fix outside first it can sometimes keep it once inside, always in
that one GPS-friendly room.

"iwlist eth0 scan" will show visible APs.

I've actually had good results with mofi for finding and connecting to
wireless networks - but it offers no way to disconnect... I usually use
commandline "ifup eth0", having set up similarly to
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wifi#WPA - note that that's not just WPA,
wpa_supplicant.conf allows you to define secure and non-secure networks
alike, including unsecured 'any' network.  Provided you've itemized
protected networks correctly and included an unprotected 'any', if you're
in range of any viable wifi when you type 'ifup eth0' you will usually
connect successfully.  Failing that, try 'ifdown eth0' and 'ifup eth0'
again.

Joel Newkirk
http://jthinks.com      (blog)
http://newkirk.us/om (FR stuff)