GPRS unreliable: long lasting connection fail

Niccolo Rigacci niccolo at rigacci.org
Mon Jan 12 02:20:32 CET 2009

Hello,

I cannot get a reliable GPRS connection lasting for some hours,
while driving.

There is a problem with pppd, which does not restart the gprs
connection when failed: it seems that pppd options "persist" and
"holdoff" are not honored.

I opened a bug ticket, which did not get reply:
https://docs.openmoko.org/trac/ticket/1955

I tried Om2007.2 and Om2008.12 without GPS multiplexing: I
just stop gsmd (2007.2) or qpe (2008.12) before starting pppd and
chat, but the problem is still there.

- Can gsm0710muxd (GSM multiplexer) help in some way?

- Does GPRS require pppd or are there different software
  solutions? Don't know FSO, etc...

What are other experiences with long-lasting GPRS calls?

--
Niccolo Rigacci
Firenze - Italy