GPSDproxy: send GPS data from gpsd to a remote server

Niccolo Rigacci niccolo at
Thu Jan 15 01:48:01 CET 2009

I released a little software to proxy GPS data read from gpsd to
a remote server. I use it to store my live track on a Postgres
database (running on my home server) via GPRS connection.

The software is hosted here:

This is the announce:

This is the first release of GPSDproxy, a small program which
reads GPS data from a running gpsd process
( and forwards it to a remote server via
an UDP connection.
GPSDproxy is intended to be run on GPS enabled mobile devices.
The main features are:
* Very low traffic: can upload the position every 10 seconds,
24h/24h, 7days/week and consume less than 100Mb/month (telco-plan
* Assume an unreliable connection, like GPRS mobile. Uses UDP
protocol without TCP/IP retransmission overhead. No akwnoledgment
from the server is required. Assumes that some data can be lost
(future versions can implement some sort of
* Firewall friendly: mobile GPRS connections are often placed
behind a NAT firewall, gpsdproxy works with just one outgoing UPD
* Written in C for performance and small footprint.
Included in this release there is the source code of a simple
server (written in Python), which receives position data from
several GPSDproxy clients and store it into a PostgreSQL/PostGIS

Niccolo Rigacci
Firenze - Italy