[no distro] What console s/w are linux people using to communicate with the Neo FR boot loader?

Fielder George Dowding fgdowding at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 11:23:50 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 12:10 PM, Al Johnson
<openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 January 2009, john dowd wrote:
>> The communication works fine with neocon. Thanks.
>>
>> My problem now is that I follow the wiki for setting up the SD to be a
>> backup system. I get into the boot loader and add the menu line:
>>
>> setenv menu_2 Boot from microSD part2 (ext2+ext2): setenv bootargs
>> \${bootargs_base} rootfstype=ext2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootdelay=5
>> \${mtdparts}\; mmcinit\; ext2load mmc 1 0x32000000 \${sd_image_name}\;
>> bootm 0x32000000
>
> Looks right from memory. I tend to keep the kernel on the same partition as
> the rootfs rather than having a separate boot partition as I find it easier
> when managing multiple rootfs partitions, but that's just preference.
>
>> I also check it with the "printenv" command and then use the "saveenv"
>> to write it to NAND. What happens is that the command returns :
>>

>> GTA02v6 # saveenv
>> Saving Environment to NAND...
>> Erasing Nand...GTA02v6 #
>>
>> and when I restart to the boot loader menu, my menu entry is not there.
>
> Check that you're doing this in the NAND uboot (Pwr then Aux) not the NOR
> uboot (Aux then Pwr). I don't think the NOR one can save its environment, but
> I don't know what the message is if you try, so it could be unrelated.

Greetings John Dowd,

Hmmm... it looks like your name got truncated, or maybe mine got
extended =:-)}}}

I put FDOM on a large ~300MB partition of the microSD card with the
rootfs in /dev/mmcblk0pr and the kernel in /dev/mmcblk0p4/boot/

In order to get it to boot, I put a soft link at the card's root
pointing to the desired kernel (I have two of them in there at the
moment), thusly:

(as root in where /dev/mmcblk0p? is mounted) # ln -s
boot/long-kernel-name.bin uImage.bin

There are still a bunch of things I need to get correct about booting
from the microSD card, but it does boot from just one partition.

Cheerio!
--
Fielder George Dowding, KL7FHX
dba Iceworm Enterprises