[Om2008.12] Adding swap space can stop app crashes

Sat Jan 17 07:01:35 CET 2009

On Saturday 17 Jan 2009 6:13:37 am Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> as such the sd-card should be doing wear-levelling for you as it maps
> logical to physical addresses and has an erase pool with extra blocks to
> play with. it can be "improved" by a better fs aware of the algorithms that
> card uses - but each card may be different depending on maker...
> wear-levelling is part of the spec for sd and hidden behind the sd access
> interface - so card manufacturer will determine quality of this... so spend
> your money wisely and get a good reputable sd card from the major names
> that come with lifetime warranties.

Are you sure of this? I remember from a few years back for a project at work
it was understood that compact flash was the only card that did wear levelling
internally and that is why it also was so much more expensive. I know most of
USB memory sticks do it these days so it cant be that expensive any more. If
true then this is really good news. One will not need to bother too much with
having to use a file system which does wear levelling for any project that uses
a SD card.
--
Cheers!
Kishore