FrogPad & Freerunner

Daniel Benoy daniel at benoy.name
Wed Jan 21 18:46:25 CET 2009

On Saturday 17 January 2009 08:05:26 you wrote:
> On 1/17/09 12:39 AM, Braydon Fuller wrote:
> > Has anybody had any experience with this keyboard?
> >
> > http://www.frogpad.com/
> > http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/6c82/zoom/
> >

> My girlfriend is using one at work all the time and likes it a lot. It
> takes some time to get used to though. It takes about 2 to 3 weeks to
> get up to speed again, but learning dvorak is probably harder :)
>
> I'm also considering one in combination with a FR on the road for text
> entry. Haven't tested it though, but it's just a regular USB-keyboard so
> it should work just fine.
>
> - Thomas

I use dvorak on my PC and frogpad on my Neo.  They both took about the same amount of time to learn.  It took about a week to be able to type without frequently looking; about two weeks to get up to a functional speed (Like handwriting speed), and about two months of frequent usage to master it.

It interacts well with the phone, but if you're using the old bluez API you have to constantly stick a paperclip in the little hole to make it link up (It's not a big connect button like most bluetooth keyboards).  Newer bluez APIs allow you to register it as an input device and it can link up automatically when you turn it on.

--
Daniel Benoy
http://daniel.benoy.name