Yaouh! out (update for tangogps maps)

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 23 11:06:18 CET 2009

its not nonsense - ext2/3 is vastly overrated - However, I am aware that
its very much dependent on your use case.  And in my use case, Ive been
bitten too many times.

Never heard that ext3 is good for small files - the opposite in fact as
it doesnt do tail packing (so can waste huge amounts of space), and has
limited number of inodes available - which limit I ran into.  Ive since
reformatted with the maximum, but that is supposed top cause performance
problems though I have not measured how much its slowed the FR down.

I am worried about the future for Reiserfs, but apparently work was
continuing when I last checked.

BillK

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 10:36 +0100, arne anka wrote:
> >> ext2/3 is not really suited to storing such a large number of small
> >> files.
>
> afaik ext3 can be configured to use small files.
>

> >   (I don't understand why ext2/3 is used at all these days, as it has
> > been obsolete for years.
>
> that's nonsense.
>
> > Except for one bug 8 years ago[1], ReiserFS has worked flawlessly for me
> > on my desktop systems.)
>
> i use ext2/3 for over ten years now and never had any problems.
>
> if you like reiser better, it's ok, but please don't tell such nonsense
> only to justify your likings.
> it's purely a matter of personal preferences, nothing more -- and least of
> all "extX is bad, reiser is good".

Home in Perth!