[Tango-GPS] Map bulk download?

David Pottage david at electric-spoon.com
Fri Jan 23 19:48:23 CET 2009

arne anka wrote:
>> I was wondering if anyone has a tar'd compilation of all the USA maps?
>>

> don't have the url handy, but osm has a list of links providing
> daily/weekly/monthly updated tar balls of diffrent areas and the world.
> found it, see here:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Planet.osm#Extracts

Those are links to snapshots of the OSM database in XML, not the rendered tiles that Martin is looking for.

Rather than attempting to download those tiles, it might be possible to render them from the XML data, either on a suitable desktop computer. The documentation of how to install and setup the renderer (Mapnik) are on the OSM wiki.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapnik

Seeing as Mapnik is available on Debian, with sufficient cleverness, it may be possible to render tiles on demand on a freerunner. I am thinking something like a tiles directory on a suitable Fuse file-system, and behind that fuse fs, a script that either serves up cached files or renders the requested one on the fly.

--
David Pottage