Meaning of last digit of "%CSQ: 99, 99, 0"

Timo Juhani Lindfors timo.lindfors at iki.fi
Sun Jan 25 11:20:42 CET 2009

William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> writes:
> Does anyone have an idea what the meaning of the last digit is?
>
> (watch screen wrap :)
> Feb  1 09:11:42 om-gta02 user.notice root: AtChat :  N : "%CSQ:  99, 99,
> 0"
>
> The first 99 is signal strength (99=unknown), second is BER
> (99=undetectable) but all the guides Ive looked at dont mention the
> third - so far I have seen, 0, 1 and 2 there.

8.5  Signal quality +CSQ

                    Table 36: +CSQ action command syntax

|Command  |Possible response(s)                         |
|+CSQ     |+CSQ: <rssi>,<ber>                           |
|         |+CME ERROR: <err>                            |
|+CSQ=?   |+CSQ: (list of supported <rssi>s),(list of   |
|         |supported <ber>s)                            |

Description

Execution command returns received signal  strength  indication  <rssi>  and
channel bit error rate <ber> from the ME. Refer subclause 9.2  for  possible
<err> values.

Test command returns values supported by the TA as compound values.

Defined values

<rssi>:
0    -113 dBm or less
1    -111 dBm
2...30   -109... -53 dBm
31   -51 dBm or greater
99   not known or not detectable

<ber> (in percent):
0...7    as RXQUAL values in the table in GSM 05.08 [20] subclause 8.2.4
99   not known or not detectable

Implementation

Optional.