Finger Friendly on screen keyboard

kris Occhipinti metalx2000 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 01:22:28 CET 2009

A while back I made a finger friendly keyboard for the Freerunner,
I tried to make it as finger friendly as possible and use as much screen
space for buttons.

but since I was using xte to send the keys to applications it didn't work
under the
Openmoko OS (I was using Debian and Hackable1)

But, I found a python script called pykey that uses python-xlib to send
keys.

to install it first intsall python-xlib:
opkg install
http://filmsbykris.com/freerunner-debian/ko-user/python-xlib_0.14-ml0_armv4t.ipk

then download and un-tar this to your root directory
http://filmsbykris.com/freerunner-debian/ko-user/ko-keypad.tar.gz

This should put an icon on your desktop, which is not the best way to run
it,
There is a script in the tar file call "ko-aux"
if you run "ko-aux" it will start the keyboard up when you press the AUX
button on your phone.

It's hard to describe my keyboard but I'll give it a try

The keyboard is a 12 button keypad.
Each character takes 2 keypresses.
instead of the normal keypad like on your cellphone where you have to press
each key 3 or 4 time
to type one letter and then you end up passing the letter you want and have
to hit the key 3 or 4 more times
and you have to wait if 2 letter you want are on the same button.
This keypad will change all 12 keys to the characters on the button you
choose.
there is a Space button on each key
and if you hit the wrong key there is a blank button next to the space key
to back out.
keys are sent to a temp line before you add them to the final line (but any
thing in the temp line when sending keys will be add)

---todo list---
1) backspace button
2) create list for drop combo box of last 25 or 50 things typed
3) make the sending of keys a little more efficient

I would really love some feed back
It's still a little ruff around the edges