Over-quoting (was: Re: tangoGPS 0.9.5 is out)

Dylan Semler dylan.semler at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 02:37:23 CET 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Neil Jerram <neiljerram at googlemail.com>wrote:

> 2009/1/25 Paul Fertser <fercerpav at gmail.com>:
> > Neil Jerram <neiljerram at googlemail.com> writes:
> >>
> >> The right client could handle that for you; as Google Mail (for example)
> does.
> >
> > Are you serious? Quotes are needed to remember context but you suggest
> > to quote the whole mail with no apparent reason and to hide them
> > later? WTF?
> I think using software to solve a trivial problem is better than
> getting cross about it, yes.
Furthermore, people may someday want to follow these discussions on an
OpenMoko phone, where limited bandwidth and screen real estate really
necessitate better quoting and trimming of each email.  I used to use
gmail's mobile web site to follow this list and it was a serious PITA to
load several pages of quotes before reading one's response.

Whether helping someone out or asking a question, think of properly trimming
your email part of your "contribution" to the project.