Someone stole my Neo Freerunner... :(

Joel Newkirk freerunner at newkirk.us
Mon Jan 26 05:03:03 CET 2009

On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:10:54 -0600, The Digital Pioneer
<digitalpioneer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Indeed, GPS fixes are tough to get, but they can be done. Just out of
> curiosity, can the telco really do all that passive triangulation (or
more
> importantly, can I) they talk about in the movies? :P
>
> --
> Thanks,
>
> The Digital Pioneer

http://n2.nabble.com/Future-of-location-services-on-OM-td2136697ef1958.html

Some of the points mentioned within are that with the available databases
of cell-tower locations and the information provided by the towers
(including range within 500m IIRC) the triangulation accuracy can be pretty
good, provided multiple towers are 'visible' and that urban canyons aren't
causing too much multipath madness.  It's also potentially helpful just to
know location "within 5 km", to speed up the 'assisted' part of AGPS.

Joel Newkirk
http://jthinks.com      (blog)
http://newkirk.us/om (FR stuff)