shr- GPS howto?

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Mon Jan 26 14:34:01 CET 2009

arne anka wrote:
>> slot. If it isn't there, then your phone have this problem.
>
> not necessarily. in fact, if you really have this problem you didn't
> update your kernel a very long time.
> the gps/sd card fix is in all kernels available for a very long time now,
> the hw fix is not necessary.

Really? The problem was noise from the SDcard electronics disturbing the
gps receiver.  The software fix was to turn the sdcard clock off while
the card isn't actively used.  But that don't help at all if the card
_is_ in use most of the time - for example if you're running your linux
distribution from the card. Or are playing songs stored on the card. Or
have your map tiles on the card.

The capacitor makes the SDcard less noisy - even when it is being used
all the time. I can get a fix and use the gps while listening to music,
for example.

Helge Hafting