[SHR] illume predictive keyboard is too slow

Olof Sjobergh olofsj at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 12:49:19 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Florian Hackenberger
<f.hackenberger at chello.at> wrote:
> That's my UTF8 fix [1] that's causing the slowness, I'm afraid.
> Unfortunately I'm very very busy ATM and therefore I'm unable to work
> on it. It could either be the latin -> UTF16 code which is slow or
> another bug I introduced (causing excessive lookups for example).

I looked into this issue when my Swedish keyboard didn't work
correctly. I found some issues and some parts that could be improved
and sent a patch with these fixes to the enlightenment devel list.
However, even fixing everything I could find, it's still a bit slow.
The problem seems to be the conversion to utf16 for each and every
strcmp when doing the lookup.

Unless I missed something big (which I hope I didn't, but I wouldn't
be surprised if I did), this is not fixable with the current
dictionary lookup design. Raster talked about redesigning the
dictionary format, so I guess we have to wait until he gets around to
it (or someone else does it).

Best regards,

Olof Sjobergh

More information about the community mailing list