Buzz fix attempt, tomorrow

David Murrell dmurrell at waikato.ac.nz
Wed Jan 28 21:10:00 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 13:04 -0600, Steven ** wrote:
> I too applied the fix. Or, I should say, got a co-worker to apply the
> fix.  He worked with surface mount components for a few years and our
> lab has all the necessary equipment to do surface mount soldering.  As
> well as a stock room with a fairly large selection of components.
>
> It took about an hour because the components are so hard to work with.
>  I used a tantalum capacitor (as my work's stock room didn't have
> ceramic with the needed specs) which made things rather difficult.
> The capacitor was just small enough to fit inside the case.  But it
> could not be positioned as depicted in the white paper.  We ended up
> soldering some copper ribbon to the exposed pad to "extend" it to the
> left in order to place the capacitor between the components on the
> right and the screw hole.
>
> I did not take any pictures (since cameras are forbidden inside my
> place of work).
>
> I have extra capacitors and resistors I don't need/want.  I'm not sure
> if anyone would want them though, since the capacitor was so hard to
> place well.
>
> -Steven

Hi Steven,

A thought - as an alternative to using a camera, find a
scanner/photocopier multifunction device gadget thing, and stick the
circuit board on that - it creates much better images. Some of them have
a scan to pdf or tiff, and then fire it to an email address or ftp
server - that's what we've done here.

Cheers,
David