Alsa state chooser

Helge Hafting helge.hafting at hist.no
Thu Jan 29 14:03:24 CET 2009

TL Mieszkowski wrote:

> KaZeR wrote:
>  >
>  > First example on top of my head : you are listening to music via your
>  > headset, and you unplug it : if in a public place, it might be convenient
>  > pause media player to avoid bothering your neighboors. My other phone
>  > behaves like that and i find it convenient and respectful for the other
>  > people.
>  >

> I'm nobody, but that is so contrived it comes no where near convincing me
> that such a non-UNIXy system is the right way.

Some other examples:

You may have one preferred volume for your headset, and another
preferred volume for the loudspeaker. The media player can set correct
volume at all times, upon receiving notification. Apps that don't care
can ignore this particular event.

I find it useful that the phone notices plug/unplug events. I ususally
plug in the headset in order to listen to music. The display lights up,
so I don't have to waste a screen press on that. I can start the music
player directly, because the backlight came on automatically. Since I
don't use headphones for anything else, I could customize this further
to launch the music player when the headset gets plugged in. There is no
such option without a notification interface.

You may not find notification useful, but I don't see that as a reason
to remove it entirely. Some people have uses for it.

Helge Hafting