Dialup On Demand (was: [SHR] Miscellanious minor issues)

Michael 'Mickey' Lauer mickey at openmoko.org
Fri Jan 30 15:31:50 CET 2009

Am Friday 30 January 2009 14:10:05 schrieb Johny Tenfinger:

> >> With new frameworkd you firstly have to set WiFi to "on" in
> >> shr-settings.
> >
> > Would it be more 'natural' to have it switched on when needed, and
> > switched of when it is not needed any more? This would be similar to the
> > implementation GPS already is powered on and off.
>
> I think it would be hard to do. But if not, it's not SHR, but FSO guys work
> ;)

Indeed. I think this is a very old feature, I remember the good old days of
dial-up networking using pppoe. There we had something like a connection
dialog that popped up on demand, which is what we want as well on mobile
devices.

Does anyone remember which kernel infastructure this on-demand dialling used?

--
:M: