I took the plunge

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Sat Jan 31 14:54:27 CET 2009

On 31 Jan 2009, at 07:30, Steve 'dillo Okay wrote:

> I picked up a Neo Freerunner & dev board today from the good folks
> over @ PariSOMA here in SF today.
> It was a little disappointing that the dev board came in a recyclable
> paperboard box instead of the hardsided case.
> Do they just not ship those anymore ?

No. Openmoko decided that the case didn't "add value" in a way that
was unique to Openmoko or central to their "core competencies".
Consequently they never shipped the hardcase with the Freerunner - it
was only available with GTA01 - and this was reflected in GTA02's
pricing. You can order a hardcase from Pelican yourself, and there are
online suppliers who can custom cut the foam for you.

> The one noticeable bug is that the digitizer/UI totally loses it's
> calibration when the screen gets flipped into landscape mode.
> I'm downloading the 2008.12 distro as I type this and I'm going to
> flash it as soon as it's done downloading.
>
> So far, for the whole two or three hours I've had it, I'm liking it.
> ...Time to go flash some firmware.

The firmware supplied on your new Freerunner is quite old, so you
really shouldn't judge the phone on the basis of it. I am quite glad
your impressions are so positive, considering that.

Stroller.