Questions about the usability of GTA02

Tschaka Stuff4tschaka at gmx.net
Sat Jan 31 20:19:56 CET 2009

arne anka wrote:

>> 1st) Battery Power
>> So, since i'm not able to plug the phone to a power source at university,
>> would i be able to run it the whole day, without getting out of battery
>> power after 10 hours?
>

> not with the scenario you describe -- but otoh: which phone does? your
> power consumption seems pretty impressive to me and with a phone more
> suited to doing that stuff (that said, i don't know what phone you are
> currently using, but assume something more traditional).

Ya, atm i am using a sony ericsson k800i, so just an ordinary phone. it's
handling my needs very well, when it comes down to battery power. i only got
to charge the battery every 3 or 4 days. to make things clear: i don't
listen to music all day, only on the go, so maximum 2 hours a day.

arne anka wrote:

>> And, will there be a (software) fix (soon) for the issue, that the
>> battery
>> gets uncharged, even if plugged in, as soon as the battery is fully
>> charged?
>
> afaik is the re no way be sw to fix that -- the gsm takes power from
> battery directly, so whatever your phone gets from usb, the battery would
> still be drained.
> the consensus seems currently to be, to startcharging when battery falls
> below a certain leverl -- but that in turn might trigger a lot of
> load/unload cycles. don't know, though, how well li-io handles taht on the
> long run.
> (maybe at least some little backup power would be nice, so that one could
> swas the battery when suspenden w/o the need to fully shutdown/reboot).
>
>> (i got no problem charging the phone every night, but when it's fully
>> charged at 2am, it would have been running 7 hours on battery power by my
>> arrival at university, so the battery would be low sooner)
>
> well, there's the emergency power supply by by batteries, several of those
> contraptions where linked to over time. you have basically a box with
> regular batteries or rechargeables with an usb pigtail to plug into the fr
> and charge it.
> you know the saying: neo owner is man who carries wll charger all the time

to sum it up: assuming i'm leaving house at 8.30 am, i would have to plug
the phone in at 6.30 am, to have it fully charged by departure?

i don't know if this works, and i totally can understand the concerns on
many load cycles, but my ordinary phone just stays at 100% as soon as it's
fully charged, and when i plug it off it still is at 100% even after 10
hours or something (at least the battery indicator says). could and will
this be implemented into later releases?

as u may imagine, i'm not willing to get up 1 hour before time, to have my
phone fully charged by departure :) (let's not talk about timed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_strip Power strips (?)  or something)

arne anka wrote:

>> 2) Calls
>> on the other end (u know, my gf isn't that patient and insightfull with
>> opensource software(issues) as i am, it took me weeks and shutting down
>> icq completely to convince her to use xmpp :) )
>
> bad planning. you should never have allowed icq in the first place ;-)

ya indeed. came on this a bit to late :)

arne anka wrote:

> maybe, when you give some hints to your location, someone owning an fr
> already might make him/herself available to show the fr in the flesh and
> demonstrate your scenarios?

Good idea, i will!

Thanks to you for the fast and nice answers!

------------------------------

Michael Zanetti wrote:

> Hi Tschaka!
>
> On Saturday 31 January 2009 15:11:58 Tschaka wrote:
>> 1st) Battery Power
>>
>> sometimes i'm at university from 9am to 10pm 6 days a week. I'm often
>> browsing mobile news pages with my phone when going to university, or
>> having a chat (XMPP of course!), approx 40 minutes a day. In the meantime
>> i'm listening to music.
>> I got no actual watch, so my phone is my watch, means i often activate
>> the
>> background light to get to know the time.
>> I'm sending like 1-5 messages a day, having a phone call now and then.
>> Now and then i would like to access the web via wifi.
>>
>> So, since i'm not able to plug the phone to a power source at university,
>> would i be able to run it the whole day, without getting out of battery
>> power after 10 hours?
>> And, will there be a (software) fix (soon) for the issue, that the
>> battery
>> gets uncharged, even if plugged in, as soon as the battery is fully
>> charged? (i got no problem charging the phone every night, but when it's
>> fully charged at 2am, it would have been running 7 hours on battery power
>> by my arrival at university, so the battery would be low sooner)
>>

> One day of usage is no problem here... Sometimes I reach even 2 days. But
> not
> very often yet. Overall experience is that battery lasts longer from
> upgrade
> to upgrade.

may i ask, how often u use ur freerunner? e.g. listening to music, surfing a
bit, having phone calls? is ur usage level below mine, or equal? just to
have a bit of a reference... :)

Michael Zanetti wrote:

> Not sure when rev A7 will come.... But I expect it to contain the Buzz
> fix.
> Anyways, it looks like openmoko is concerned in applying the Buzz fix to
> already sold devices too. Not sure if/when this will happen. But signs
> point
> to soon.
> As you are a Student I think it wouldn't be too dificult finding a person
> at
> university that could help you applying the buzz fix. Anyways, I'd
> understand
> if you find it too risky.
>
> The echo is fixed in nearly every distribution meanwhile. As I have
> applied the
> Buzz fix on my moko the overall sound quality during phone calls is
> acceptable.
> Sometimes the volume is a bit low... But as I've already said: It is
> acceptable. I have already talked to my parents over one hour without one
> single complaint about the voice quality.

well, so i'll wait for a few more information on that point. (a7, buzz fix)

Maybe i'll even ask the selling shop, if they could perform the buzz fix.
will see what's the reaction there..

Another thing which came up to my mind is, that there are one or to
devs/co-workers... living in berlin, which isn't thaaat much far away from
my home. anyone knows who these persons are, if they would be able to
perform the buzz fix, and if they would do so? as u said, i'm a bit scared
to have the new baby destroyed before it had his chance to get adult...

thanks to you too for your help so far!

edit: whoops, quotes do look a bit "different" in preview. anyway, hope it
will be readable.