Do I need a FAT SD card? Do I need OM? Do I need... ? Choices, Choices, Choices...

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 19 19:28:48 CEST 2009

On Sunday 19 July 2009, lists at kitepilot.com wrote:
> Can I just ext3 the SD card ?
> I'm not very fond of FAT...

You can format it in any thing your kernel will support. ext3 is fine.

> Also, as of:
> http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Booting_from_SD
> It says:
> "WARNING: Booting from SDHC may cause problems at this time (see below)."

Works fine for me. This may refer to the Neo1973, or to old bootloader
versions.

> Should I even try to boot from the SD card?
> Are there outstanding issues that I should know of?

Some cards don't work reliably at the default clock rate, so you may need a
kernel command line switch adding to change it. You may need to change the
uboot parameters for kernels >2MB, or use Qi which handles large kernels and
boots faster.

> How small of a card is too small?
> Will 2GB be usable/enough or should I plan on something bigger/smaller?

Depends on what you're doing with it. 512MB is fine for most distros, but 2GB
is probably more appropriate for debian or gentoo. You may want more space if
you plan to use it for audio. video or maps.