New Open Hardware company

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at
Tue Jul 21 11:08:08 CEST 2009

Am 21.07.2009 um 10:52 schrieb steven mosher:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:34 AM, Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at
> > wrote:
> Ouch!
> So you need to connect a mouse that is larger than the device to
> position any scrollbars or press buttons? Or does it have a large
> enough trackpad somewhere?
>    There is a 4 way key that can be used for up/down/right/left.
> etc . And an additional
>    key for up and down.  ( or vol+- )
>    Not sure where you got the mouse idea.

That is "my own view" (TM) what is needed to make it useable.

Have you ever tried to operate a UI with the mouse-pointer paradigm
through arrow keys?

So I expect that someone needs to write is a complete UI stack for
arrow-key-only operation. Plus applications. No compatibility to most
FOSS. Unless we restrict the Non-G-UI to commandline and ncurses.

> What I wonder is how it will compare to this one:
> and its community project - it appears also to be quite open - but
> not free(dom):
>     And it locks you into a service plan. Not much point in
> comparing apples and oranges.

Hint: they have approx. 3 or 4 years experience with this device class
and users of such devices. And they may have an (economic) reason to
offer that with a service plan...