Can my FreeRunner remind me to shut it down if it is still running at 22:00?

Sebastian Krzyszkowiak seba.dos1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 01:54:18 CEST 2009

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 01:24, Brolin Empey<brolin at brolin.be> wrote:
> 2009/7/24 Sebastian Krzyszkowiak <seba.dos1 at gmail.com>
>>
>> Simply. Use at, or cron... Or write python or even bash script... You
>> can also do automatic change profile to silend instead of shutting
>> down... That's Linux box which fits in your pocket. You can do
>> everything.
>
> If I create a cron job that runs every day at 22:00, will the cron job run
> even if I have already shut down my FreeRunner by 22:00?  I guess not, but I
> wanted to ask to be certain.

If you'll use RTC clock, then it will turn on or resume from suspend.
If you won't, then it'll stay off.

> Also, what is the best program to use for this reminder as the command in
> the crontab entry?

Well, you can just write python script in few lines.

> Does the FreeRunner even have an “off” state like a desktop computer, or
> does the power button (I assume it has a power button, or a button that
> functions as a power button, like the End Call button on my Nokia 6103b and
> I think on most other Nokia cell phones?) put it in a sleep state like my
> Palm Z22, where all alarms still work?  I quoted “off” because I know a
> modern IBM PC-compatible computer, for example, is never truly/completely
> off because the real-time clock, for example, is always running.  On an ATX
> motherboard, the +5V standby is still on even when the soft power switch on
> the front of the case says the PC is off.  AFAIK, when a user says their
> modern PC is “off”, they really mean it is in ACPI state 5.  Is that right?
> I do not remember the details about the ACPI states.

Dunno much about hardware, but "poweroff" or "halt" commands are
working on FR, and they are turning it off. There is RTC clock
running, but I think it comes from internal battery (which is used to
keep you date/time setting)

> Would it be better to use a task/todo list application or some type of
> scheduling application that is always running (as a daemon, for example) to
> remind me to shut down my FreeRunner?

It depends. If you already want to use such application, then probably
better choise is using it.

> I know there are many ways of using Linux to accomplish my goal, but I do
> not know what the best way is because I have not needed to do this with a
> Linux computer before.

Just be creative :)

--
Sebastian Krzyszkowiak