Qi UI (was: Re: [Om2009] a community effort)

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 09:23:20 CEST 2009

William Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> writes:
> On Sun, 2009-05-31 at 18:15 +0400, Paul Fertser wrote:
>> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 03:47:04PM +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
>>
>> Look at AUX led. Enable whichever loglevel for kernel you like. Boot a
>> minimal kernel that will boot really fast.
>>
>> Not a bootloader problem.
>>

> I probably have not been clear enough - if the bootloader exits (as it
> was doing to me silently), you can go along blithely thinking that the
> phone was booted and working but it wasn't so I missed an important
> call.

No. Qi never (except when the battery is deeply discharged or on gta01
that lacks leds and vibrator) silently exits.

> The problem is that Qi doesnt give ANY feedback to a user, its always a
> worry - is it or isnt it booting?

That's obviously not true. Read again about AUX led and vibrator
feedback.

> Granted that you can overide to force feedback

No, the feedback provided by Qi is always present and always identical
(unless you have a very discharged battery, in this case feedback is
disabled).

> but then why not use uboot which has proven reliable AND tells the
> user that something is happening faster than Qi will boot when in
> debug mode (so I presume from my memories of trying to test/time
> this).  I am not talking about kernel boot messages, but "something"
> every 10-15 seconds to reassure the user.

Qi takes about 2 seconds to boot the kernel. After that it can do
_nothing_ "to reassure the user" because the control is transfered to
the kernel. The same with u-boot.

> I have used a number of cheap mobiles, a treo650.  Thfamily have a range
> of mobiles up to an N95.  I have used quite a number of linux versions
> over the years - none, absolutely none including windows tells the user
> nothing like Qi does.  That if nothing else should tell how wrong Qi's
> operation is.

You use Qi only for 2-3 seconds on boot. And it provides feedback
during that time. Period.

> syndrome.  Again, I can only remember Andy saying he didnt like uboot,
> hence Qi, and Qi was going to be so much faster ...

If you like u-boot, go ahead, hack on u-boot. But don't think that
someone else must do that for you.

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com