usb0 vs eth0

roby hariseldon78 at
Mon Jun 1 13:32:17 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 8:29 AM, Paul Fertser <fercerpav at> wrote:

> Max <max at> writes:
> > When I plug FR it appears as eth0 instead of usb0.
> It's on purpose and it's damn right. Search the archives. If you want
> some kind of interface renaming for whatever reason, write an
> appropriate udev rule.

Everybody saying that it's right, but nobody explaining how to use it..
the problem is that it's not so simple to write an udev interface renaming
rule because i don't know which interface udev will assign to the neo.. for
example when i connect it i get eth1, suddenly renamed to eth7 by udev, but
am i sure it will always get eth7?
The page explain how to setup
nat and routing, but all the examples use usb0. The problem is that each
different udev installation will assign a possibly different interface name
to the neo, so what should one do? setup nat and routing for all the
interfaces being attached? seems strange.. I just would like to see an
example, because it's not clear to me, and i think for many like me..