Debuzzing

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Mon Jun 1 14:03:33 CEST 2009

Am 01.06.2009 um 13:16 schrieb Paul Fertser:

> "Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller" <hns at computer.org> writes:
>>> and standby time jumping up 25% looks a lot to me.
>>
>> If you find a way to DIY to gain these 25%, please share with us.
>
> In fact overall time required for hand rework is roughly equal for
> both buzz and #1024 fixes. If one has already dismounted the can

The key difference is the word "if already dismounted the can".

> (quite easy if one is careful) then changing that particular capacitor
> is not a problem at all for a skilled person, it's SMT0805 size, big
> enough comparing to 0402 R and it's very conveniently located.
>
> This is for purely informational purposes for DIY-ers, i'm not
> recommending any distributors to offer this rework, quite the
> opposite.

Thanks for this description which will help DIY-ers!

Our reworker just opens the two torx screws, unclips the front cover
and then does the Buzz-Rework under a microscope. Then, the front
cover is clipped back and torx screws are replaced. This keeps rework
cost low even in a high-wage country like Germany (which is still more
than the 3 EUR we formally charge - Openmoko is sponsoring the rework).

For opening the GSM shield you have to dismantle the whole PCB from
the Freerunner plastics and then open the can. Doing the reverse
direction means to put the power and aux buttons in place, make sure
that the vibramotor and speaker give contact etc.  and everything
snaps back. This all sums to approx. 4 times as many minutes. That is
the time that adds up in our calculation. So if we find a way to apply
it without opening the can and dismantling the PCB, it will be the
same speed.

So it is the simplicity of the buzz-rework that made us start this
adventure but more complex reworks are beyond our limits...

Aother note to all who read this: the Buzz rework is only required if
you have the Buzz problem. If your device does not, there is no need
to rework. My personal estimate is that <5% of users have experienced
it.

And if you don't own a Freerunner yet, you don't necessarily have to
wait for A7 devices. So purchasing an A6 is still a good bet.

Nikolaus