Avoid duplicates on ML (was: Re: Fundamental Qi question)

Paul Fertser fercerpav at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 19:00:45 CEST 2009

Marcel <tanuva at googlemail.com> writes:

>> > You still putting arne anka, in TO: and list in CC:,
>> >
>> > I agree with arne anka, that you should send mails(and reply-s) only
>> > TO: list.
>>
>> I said i did the wrong thing only once as a courtesy to arne. I won't
>> do it again because it's plain wrong. If you don't want to find the
>> proof yourself i will do that for you later. But i think you know me
>> enough to understand that if i do it that way i have a good enough
>> reason to do so. And if you look at any other sane ML out there (LAKML
>> e.g.) you'll see everybody doing the same.
>
> I have often enough seen people on debian-user-german that actually
> *don't* want to be CCed because they read the list and therefore don't
> need a dedicated reply.

To avoid getting duplicates (when a person sends a mail To or Cc you
and the list at the same time) one just needs to set his personal
preferences (and for most ML it's default to avoid duplicates), for
mailman it's described in [1].

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-member/node21.html

mailto:fercerpav at gmail.com