Freerunner's Future

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 00:24:30 CEST 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 1:55 AM, Dave Ball <openmoko at underhand.org> wrote:
> Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:

>>> Don't forget about GizmoForYou project with its Flow, as just an example:
>>> http://www.gizmoforyou.com/comment.php?comment.news.41
>>>
>> Flow looks sleek, but what about it's commitment to Free Software? I really
>> don't know, can you help me know more?
>>

> The flow project itself seems pretty open, but it depends on gumsticks,
> which have closed hardware but seem to be widely supported by open
> software & corresponding communities.

That's true. Gumstix open-sources expansion modules and connector specs,
but base modules are kept proprietary. Flow project itself is pretty much
open. IIRC schematics are open and software is open for sure (they target
Android for now). It may be interesting to port OM to it to broaden hardware
support and increase community volume.

> It sounds an interesting project, and will be available much sooner than
> the gta02-core or 'future' work which we have started, although these OM
> / gta derivatives might have more potential in the longer term.

yeah. Also Flow's advantage is its modularity.
On the other hand, I think Flow costs more then Freerunner. But we'll see
how much gta02-core result will cost at the end.

So, it's an interesting alternative and worth looking into, imho.

--
Regards,
Alexander Chemeris.

SIPez LLC.