a new keyboard - discuss and critique

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Wed Jun 3 11:36:58 CEST 2009

On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 10:16:21 +0200 Michal Brzozowski <rusolis at poczta.fm> said:

> 2009/6/3 Carsten Haitzler <raster at rasterman.com>
>
> > On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 17:27:00 +1200 Robin Paulson <robin.paulson at gmail.com>
> > said:
> >
> > > apparently, triangular buttons produce less errors.
> > >
> > > http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/06/02/crocodile_keyboard/
> > >
> > > i'm not totally convinced, but it would be worth a go, i think
> >
> > he's smoking crack. his logic (that more deadspace makes for less
> > mis-presses)
> > is just wrong. it makes for fewer "presses". you hit the deadspace much
> > more
> > often and press nothing. if you simply expanded each key to just fill the
> > rectangular region it ocupies (which it effectively does as that space is
> > unused and dead) hen you get a no less accurate keyboard than what he as,
> > but
> > somewhere were u are MORE likely to actually hit a key as opposed to hit
> > nothing.
> >

> What you're saying is logical. But I think the idea is that the dead space
> makes you want to hit the keys more accurately. So the smaller key teaches
> you how to hit more exactly. I don't know if it's true, but I would rather
> first try it out than say it's total bullshit.

u seriously doubt that. mis-pressing keys will also make you want to hi them
more accurately too. it applies to both cases. thedifference is that if you are
not more accurate u get zero key press as opposed to the one you wanted when its
a square. then you aways get a press - the question is - are you so far off that
u pressed the wrong key.

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com