Fundamental Qi question

Laszlo KREKACS laszlo.krekacs.list at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 08:55:58 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 6:55 AM, Werner Almesberger <werner at openmoko.org> wrote:
> NAND support is only there because of the GTA01/GTA02 legacy and it
> has limitations compared to SD. While technically possible to bring
> NAND support in Qi on par with SD, I think it would just make things
> more complicated and lure people into using NAND whereas SD is the
> future.
>
> In the GTA03 design, we would not have used NAND for anything but
> storing Qi and read-only factory data. Likewise, for gta02-core, I
> wouldn't consider using u-boot.

Hi!

I use the distribution on NAND as an SD card reader. I load the OS,
connect to my laptop,
and I write the new distro to the uSD card. It is impossible to do it
on the same
SD card, from where the OS is running. You cant simply repartition the uSD card.

For me the NAND partition is a perfectly usable *backup/emergency* OS.

Furthermore, I used recently TangoGPS, and it broke the filesystem where the
maps were located. It broked every time when the phone runned out of battery.
Quick summary:
vfat broken -> couldnt recover
ext2 broken -> couldnt recover
ext3 broken -> I could recover, but lost many files

Luckely (thinking about any possibility before traveling),
I had an OSM.tar file on the NAND with my backup OS, and I could
reformat the SD card thousands kilometer away from my home without any
computer or internet access. And I needed a map, because tangogps was
all what I had.;)

For me NAND is a musthave. I dont care about speed, or size. It is perfectly
acceptable in *emergency* situation.

I see only one alternativ: two uSD card slot.

I think I made a fair point, so please save an emergency path. Relying only on
uSD always require some third tool to recover. (eg: laptop with uSD card reader)

Best regards,
 Laszlo