Freerunner's Future

Wolfgang Spraul wolfgang at openmoko.org
Sat Jun 6 12:13:33 CEST 2009

Dale,

> The Freerunner had (has?) great potential, but we
> couldn't realize that potential without basic reliable functionality.
> If the concerted efforts of many talented (in some cases even paid)
> engineers couldn't achieve that basic milestone, it seems unlikely
> that it will be achieved by a loosely-organized group of unpaid (and
> demoralized) volunteers.

Thanks for your concern and (slight) impatience.
Several efforts are underway to form really solid groups, both community
and commercial, to continue with the open phone.
I haven't noticed any demoralization, quite to the contrary. But I do
believe the size of our community is stagnant or slowly shrinking. Which
only makes sense given that there is not much visible progress right now.

BTW here are some interesting statistics about our community:
http://downloads.openmoko.org/stats/05/
And number of subscribers to our mailing lists:
https://monitor.openmoko.org/munin/chandra/sita.openmoko.org-mailman_detail.html
(openmoko-kernel is missing for some reason, we will fix this, I believe
it has around 600 subscribers)

As for the 'big picture' of open devices - on the technical level there
are a number of categories that are merging over the next few years:
phones, portable media players, electronic dictionaries, navigation
devices. Other non-mobile categories are also not far behind (picture
frames, set-top boxes, wifi routers, NAS). For these types of devices,
there are a few 'open' options here and there, but by Openmoko's
standards for the largest part it's all closed.

Going forward we need to find more semiconductor partners that
understand 'open' and know how they can create value with it.
In today's consumer electronics industry, semiconductor companies are
the ones writing the drivers, they do reference designs for
manufacturers. Trying to do open devices without the help of
semiconductor companies will just not work.
The good news is that pretty much all semiconductors have a relaxed, and
often friendly, attitude towards 'Linux' nowadays. They see the
potential, and real size of the market today. Things like Android help
tremendously!

Bottom line - the path to a fully open phone as envisioned by Openmoko
and our phantastic community is still long. Maybe even 5+ years.
I'm not discouraged by that at all. gta02-core is on track, and Werner
has as clear a long-term plan of why and where this will all go as
everybody else. Realistically I am hoping that actual physical hardware
will come out of it within 12 months or so.
In other parts of the Openmoko landscape, work is going on on non-phone
projects, whether they are called Project B or C or D.
Even if those devices are not a phone initially, trust me they will all
become phones :-)

Thanks for staying with us, I hope you enjoy the ride with your
'pioneering' Neo (I'm a daily user myself).
Best Regards, and keep your feedback coming!
Wolfgang