RFC Using MPX for accelerometers

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at rasterman.com
Sat Jun 6 12:28:11 CEST 2009

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 20:59:48 +0200 Abelenda <diego.abelenda at gmail.com> said:

> I've had an idea that might not be so bad.
>
> MPX is due for the next release of Xorg, so why not use it for the
> accelerometers, it could create a somewhat standard interface for the
> applications (think about compatibility for other devices than the
> freerunner) to see the state of the accelerometers. An application that
> is fullscreen/selected could just grab the input and release it if
> it is no more selected. The nice thing is that application not
> compatible with Xi2 would not see the device if it is configured as
> additionnal pointer and not default one.
>
> If an application needs only pattern recognitions and not the position
> of the pointer, we could create a lib, so that it could be portable for
> other devices.

mpx. hell mo. you should read up on mpx more. if u wantg standard input devices
exposing the accelerometers to x - use x input devices,. see the x input
extension. it's been there for as long as i've used x (12 years). it can expose
advanced devices with many input properties.in fact we should expose an
xinput device that shadows the core cursor that will allow us to modify the
touchscreen parameters (eg turn the ts off, etc.). also while i'm at it
backlight control should be exposed through xrandr and output device properties
(see xblacklight for info 0 it works on intel gfx chips just fine - via xrandr.
the fact everyone goes behind x's back to fiddle with backlight and play
with /sys/* is bad).

The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler)    raster at rasterman.com