how dangerous Freerunner could be?

Ignacio Torres Masdeu ignacio at torresmasdeu.name
Sun Jun 7 21:20:49 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 20:37, ivvmm<unachievable at gmail.com> wrote:
> koolu.com wrongly sent North American variant of devices to our European
> country in a pack. So what we got now is that devices operate only on
> 1800MHz frequency. That's twice bigger than 900MHz.

This is a joke, right? In Europe GSM frequencies are 900 and 1800MHz,
in USA 850 and 1900

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_frequency_ranges#GSM_frequency_usage_in_Europe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_frequency_ranges#GSM_frequency_usage_in_the_Americas

The freerunner (GTA02) has 2 versions working in three frequencies:
USA: 850/1800/1900MHz
Europe: 900/1800/1900MHz

> How dangerous could it be? I always carry the device near my heart
> because it is needed to for GPS to receive an accurate position.

The only dangerous thing is that if you are out of 1800MHz coverage
you won't be able to get the 900MHz frequency.

> How could GSM module be shut down truly? We all know it sends
> control-signals even if turned off.

Sacrificing a chicken helps.

--
Ignacio Torres  Masdeu