Pat Meier (=public relation of Openmoko)

Steve Mosher steve at openmoko.com
Wed Jun 10 11:36:44 CEST 2009

  Hi,

   I have to quibble a bit here. Any PR firm, including Pat's, is at the
mercy of the mouthpiece. That's me. Before they release the information
they look me in the eye and ask me to vouch for the veracity.
Think of them as a messenger. You hand the postman a letter professing
your undying love for a woman.  he delivers the letter. Later, you break
the woman's heart. Should she shoot the postman who was paid to deliver
the message? But PR firms do more than simply deliver your message. They
also help you correct false stories in the press.

WRT wikis as a tool for putting information into the world. I'm not
entirely convinced that a wiki can serve as best tool for every
situation. This is something I used to teach in rhetoric class.
Every message has a speaker, a channel, an audience and a purpose.
One channel doesn't fit all. So if my purpose is to speak to the press
with the purpose of giving them information that they can re transmit
easily across many other channels, then a press release is a great tool.
We send a press release to a reporter ( press releases are for the press
) that reporter uses another channel, the phone, to talk to me. He's got
the release in his hands, I've got it in mine. We do an interview, live.
he questions me. listens to my answers. Pushes hard on me. It's hard
to do that in today's version of the wiki, which is really a non real
time, consensus version of the truth. the interview, well that's very
often "thunderdome" two men enter, one man leaves. It's a "best man
wins" version of the truth. When it comes down to it, I tend to be
a pragmatist. If a wiki proves to be the best tool for the job, use a
wiki. If a blog gets it done, blogit. Does a tweet work to get the
thing done? then tweet. phone call? email? press release? these all
are various species of the thing we call communication. not to mention
winks, nods, coughs, and twirling your hair between your fingers.

WRT plan B or any other product at OM, Sean and the design team will
announce they decide the time is right. It's not for me to pre-empt that.