Freerunner's Future

Steve Mosher steve at openmoko.com
Wed Jun 10 19:28:56 CEST 2009

I would offer this. The vision that Werner has,  shared by a good number
of us
( hat tip to Dr Schaller) is to create a process whereby the design
effort can be
shared collaboratively. As I look at the EE design process it is currently
controlled at  several points by closed proprietary systems. These
chains will
will not be broken all at once. Lets take the layout tool. Layout tools
are expensive
software. You may be a EE with a great idea, but your stuck in schematic
land
if you dont have a layout tool. Now the output of layout tools ( gerber
file) is
rather open and standard.  There are many elements here where a
community effort
can help. At some point I will put something together to describe this
process,
the tools, the resources, and you can all see how close we are to an
open process.

If folks dont want to wait for me, they  can pitch in and describe the
process themselves
and put it in the wiki.

So, generally speaking I'd say the mission is opening the design process
to allow for
collaborative open source hardware development.

On another thread people are speculating about Project B. some
interesting speculations.
Imagine a world where those speculations could be turned into working
prototypes
and then products.. all done the open source way. just a thought.