Battery ID chip - help needed

Werner Almesberger werner at openmoko.org
Thu Jun 11 08:53:05 CEST 2009

Christoph Pulster wrote:
> While working out a solution, we get stuck on the point the battery has
> some coded ID-Chip. This chip is not available on the market.
> Also the data can not be copied to another IC because its crypted.

Hmm, I wonder what that would be or what it would do :-)

I haven't actually taken apart a GTA02 battery yet, but what should
be in there are some pretty standard Li-Ion protection circuit (note
that cut-off voltage and cut-off behaviour can differ among such
protection circuits, e.g., the GTA02 battery needs some prodding to
come back to life after a cut-off. That's what caused all the fun
with the Vsys cap problems.) and of course the Coulomb counter.

The bq27000 is a pretty accessible part. You can buy it at Digi-Key.
No secret handshake involved :-)

Paul Fertser and Joerg have done some investigation on the factory
settings of the bq27000, so they may have suggestions for a better
configuration.

- Werner