Better handling of AUX and POWER buttons

Nicola Mfb nicola.mfb at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 15:20:16 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Michal Brzozowski<rusolis at poczta.fm> wrote:
[...]
>> That's called E keybinding configuration.
>
> Does it have actions like show/hide keyboard? Does it detect double, triple,
> etc keypresses?

The actual problem is that if you use E keybinding for example to
"simple lock" the screen when press the aux button you cannot use it
in applications.
So we should have smart E keybinding, "long aux", "long power", but
when you press/release buttons applications receive these events too.
That's why I suppose E (and at most other alternatives) cannot handle
that and we need a smart daemon to filter/inject events.
About my experiments I just discovered that some applications simply
refuse to process XSendEvents for security reasons. This is bad, as
using X you may differentiate virtual injected keys events based on
the destination applications, so AUX may trigger "enter" to one, "F11"
to another and so on.
As of that I think we need to filter events at input lever layer
(other ideas or solutions are welcome of course).
Il try to contact Theodoros Kalamatianos, the author of actkbd [1]  to
ask him for the support for such complex key shortcut, as it's daemon
already has keyboard event injection and use 2.6 linux event
interface.

    Nicola

[1] http://users.softlab.ntua.gr/~thkala/projects/actkbd/