some questions before buying FreeRunner

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 12 19:03:50 CEST 2009

On Friday 12 June 2009, a dehqan wrote:
> In The Name Of God
>
> Thanks alot for your replies ;

> > > So ,almost all chargers do not have usb jack ... If charger output
> >
> > voltage
> >
> > > was the same can we add usb jack to charger ?
> >
> > The FR needs 5V, preferably at 500mA or 1A. If your charger can supply
> > that then making a jack adapter won't be a problem. Do NOT use a charger
> > supplying
> >
> > >5.5V as it will probably damage the FR. If your charger can give 1A then
> >
> > when
> > making the adapter you can put a 47k resistor between pin 4 and ground on
> > the
> > mini-B connector. That lets the FR identify it as being able to take 1A
> > so it
> > will automatically start charging at the full rate.
> >
> > Car USB adapters are widely available though, and the USB mini-B
> > connector is
> > used by a numer of phone manufacturers now. There were reports in the
> > wiki from people using TomTom and Motorola car chargers IIRC. The only
> > problem you
> > may have is that there was no standard for the use of the ID pin (pin 4)
> > so the current capability may be incorrectly detected.
>
> Do you mean without that 47k resistor ,Fr will detect current lower or
> higher ?what will happen after that (detect incorrectly) .

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/USB_charger

Judging by the experiences in the wiki, if the resistor isn't 47k it will
treat it as a normal USB connection. That means drawing 100mA until either it
negotiates 500mA or it is told to use 500mA or 1A.

> Another questions ;
> 1- Should pouch be bought ,Without pouch ,ISn't there any problem with
> carring FR with ourself without pouch ?

Up to you. I rarely use the pouch, and wouldn't have bought one, but some
people like them. I am careful about where I keep it though, as the screen is
a bit vulnerable. You might also consider the InvisibleShield screen
protectors, or the leather case.

> 2-Do you advice a laser stylus or small one (normal one) ?

Whatever you prefer. Most of the time I just use my finger or fingernail.

> 3- So  ,do you advice to fix FR ourslef ? is there any common problems for
> those want to fix their self ?

If you have SMD rework experience then it might be worth trying, but if you
break it you probably won't be able to claim under warranty. It doesn't seem
to be any more problematic than any other lead-free SMD rework from what
people have said.

> 3-What other things and issues ,Do you advice to be attended before and
> while buying FR ?

I have heard of difficulties shipping to some countries, either with odd local
shipping arrangements or with things getting stuck in customs. I don't know
whether that would affect you or not, but it might be worth asking.

Check that you order the right frequency range for your GSM providers. I guess
it'll be the Europe/rest-of-world model (900/1800/1900) rather than the US one
(850/1800/1900) but I don't know what your providers use.

I can't think of any other issues. You know the software's not exactly
consumer-ready, and about all the hardware issues I think, so you should be
able to judge whether or not it's what you want.