some questions before buying FreeRunner

Mike Montour mail at mmontour.net
Fri Jun 12 23:53:22 CEST 2009

a dehqan wrote:

> An important question about GPS signals ,Is not IRAN far from The
> satellite that sends signals ?will not signals be weak in Iran ?How
> can we be sure that GPS antenna is not needed in open area in Iran ?

The main GPS satellites are in circular orbits around the earth, so the
signal quality in Iran will be the same as any other place at a similar
latitude (assuming that the US government isn't doing anything to
intentionally degrade the signal in your part of the world).

You are likely to be out of range of the geostationary "WAAS" satellites
that broadcast additional information, but these signals are not
required for basic GPS operation.