Is a FreeRunner sufficient for me?

Brolin Empey brolin at brolin.be
Thu Jun 18 01:38:27 CEST 2009

Hello,

I need a GSM cell phone to replace my Palm Z22 PDA.  I use Speak Out
Wireless (prepaid) in the Lower Mainland of British Columbia, Canada.  I do
not have a data plan.  I am wondering whether a FreeRunner will work well
for me.  I am currently using a Nokia 6103b.

I need all of these features:

* a *reliable* phone for SMS and brief voice calls.  The FreeRunner would be
my primary phone, not only a toy.
* tasks/todo lists (including tasks with and without alarms, recurring and
non-recurring tasks, tasks with and without due dates, tasks with and
without attached notes)
* I need a calender to choose dates like on Palm OS.  I do not want a date
chooser like on my Nokia 6103b.
* calendar (I enter all of my appointments, work holidays, and other dates I
want to remember, then the Agenda/overview screen of the Calendar/Datebook
(?) Palm OS application shows upcoming events in the next 2 weeks or so.  I
want something similar on a phone.  I need support for recurring events and
events on a certain day but with no time.)
* textual notes (so I don’t have to keep track of lots of paper notes),
* a calculator with features comparable to the Palm OS application EasyCalc
* enough storage for SMS messages so I never have to delete old SMS
messages.  I never have to delete old e-mail, so why should I have to delete
old SMS messages?  I have to keep deleting old SMS messages on my Nokia
6103b because it does not have enough storage.

Not required but would be nice:

* a drawing/painting application

Will a FreeRunner work well for me?

Thanks,
Brolin

--
Sometimes I forget how to do small talk: <http://xkcd.com/222/>

“What if there were no hypothetical questions?” — George Carlin