Howto get a specific kernel from kernel repository?

Shaz shazalive at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 19:41:36 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 2:23 AM, Shaz <shazalive at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Lars-Peter Clausen<lars at metafoo.de>
> wrote:
> > Shaz wrote:
> >>
> >> Dear lists,
> >>
> >> I want kernel 2.6.26-rc8 or 2.6.30 onwards for my development work on
> >> OpenMoko. If it cannot be checked out then is there some way that I
> >> can move around with patches to get there?
> >>
> >> Some help will be appreciated because I am not well versed with git or
> >> patch management. Even if some quick readings/tutorials are pointed
> >> out that will be good too.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Shaz
> >>

> > Hi
> >
> > Openmokos kernel is still 2.6.29-rc3, but OpenWrt[1] has a 2.6.30 kernel
> for
> > the gta02. So if you want that, either you use OpenWrt to build your
> kernel,
> > or you could use a vanilla 2.6.30 and put those files[2] and patches[3]
> on
> > top of it.

While having a look at OpenWrt provided kernel I came to the point where I
realized that the files and patches should be put on the vanilla 2.6.30
kernel because the configuration tools of OpenWrt are not sophisticated
enough to handle my requirements. Can any one give me some hints on how to
pin down the problem? The files and patches provided by OpenWrt are much
different than the way OM kernel is dealt by the OM kernel team.

The other approach I have been thinking about is that the kernel v2.6.29-rc3
be merged with vanilla kernel. I have been studying and practcing git
branching and merging for a few days now to get some other results so is it
feasible for me to merge it myself rather than waiting for the OM kernel
team to do so? If yes then please give me some initial tips.

--
Shaz