Why one cannot recommend the freerunner as a daily phone (was Re: Is a FreeRunner sufficient for me?)

Vasco Nevoa vasco.nevoa at sapo.pt
Sun Jun 21 06:53:35 CEST 2009

Works for me too! :D

It is my only phone for almost a year now.
Yes, it needs A LOT of attention and tweaking for about 3 months until
you get it "just right" for yourself, but after that it's "good enough"
as a phone and GPS, and a pretty good PDA. And yes, the screen is not
bright enough, and the earpiece not loud enough, and the vibrator not
strong enough, and the audio/DSP is not perfectly tweaked yet (still
some people complain in calls); but these are minor complaints when you
think about all the freedom you get in installing anything you want, to
use it in ways no other device lets you...

Things I still miss: working out-of-the-box bluetooth integration
(headsets, PAN), a rock-solid GPRS and Wifi experience (still unstable
with some kinds of network and encription), and above all, a rock-solid
kernel.
Some people will, of course, dearly miss the 2D and 3D acceleration
capabilities that the Glamo chip still does not have active (and
apparently will never have). But I don't use the FR as a jukebox, so it
doesn't affect me.

The kernel is, in my opinion, the area where OM (the company) has failed
more spectacularly; I've never had a kernel that does everything well at
the same time, and it certainly has passed enough development and
testing time for that to happen. For example, it is common to have a
kernel revision that does at least one of these things:
- crash (panic or silent lockup) on wakeup, making you lose calls -
fortunately very sporadically, about once a month or less;
- ruin networking (drop GPRS or WIFI packets), making a connection stall
mysteriously;
- corrupt the screen data (random noise in framebuffer) - also very
sporadic, fortunately;
- make the FR incompatible with Windows boxes (some people need this at
work, you know?);
- some minor hardware not working, like accelerometers;
Yes, I know that most of this stuff is hard to debug, but that's the
kind of thing an embedded products company does: it secures the kernel
quality first and foremost. It's all water under the bridge, now that
the FR is strictly "community", but in my view this is what has
prevented the device from being a world-class bedrock for VARs and
tinkerers and inventors and anyone with and interest in FLOSS phones...
I think that if the kernel was rock-solid and stable, people wouldn't
care so much about "which distro works?" - the hardware would always
"just work", and the distro would be just a matter of taste and "fitness
for a purpose". Get the kernel right, and you have a winner.