tango and the missing map tiles

rhn omcomali.rhn at porcupinefactory.org
Thu Jun 25 10:26:33 CEST 2009

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 10:17:59 +0200, Rask Ingemann Lambertsen
<rask at sygehus.dk> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:08:54PM +1200, Robin Paulson wrote:
>> 2009/6/25 Tim Abell <tim at timwise.co.uk>:
>> > I've found that if tango doesn't have a working net connection
>> > available
>> > when you pan around it will generate empty files for the map images
and
>> > then never attempt to re-download them leaving nasty gaps in your
>> > coverage.
> [snip}
>> >
>> > Feel free to stick this on the wiki or something. I don't know if this
>> > needs a bug report.
>
>    IMHO it does.
>
>> will yaouh perform a similar task? i assume even though they are
>> blank, they will have a date and time, thus when yaouh is run, it will
>> see they are old/the hash is wrong, and replace them?
>
>    No, Yaouh! (version 0.5.1) doesn't update empty map tiles.

Some time ago, I posted a Python script (needs python-netclient) that
performs a similar task to what Yaouh! did. Including updating the empty
files. Just search for "Yaouh! clone" or "fill_gaps" in the archives.

In the following weeks, I should have enough time to clean it up and add
the functionality some people requested - namely, updating also tiles with
lower zoom levels if one with higher was updated, and symlinking empty
tiles to one file.

--
Cheers,
rhn